The queen of South Jersey diner haiku

Today’s Zippy:

(#1)

Three haikus on the abandoned Olga’s Diner in Marlton Circle in South Jersey.

On Marlton Circle and Olga’s, from Wikipedia:

The Marlton Circle was a traffic circle in the Marlton section of Evesham Township, New Jersey, located at the intersection of Route 70 and Route 73. The highways connecting through the circle provide access to drivers navigating to and between the New Jersey Turnpike, the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge and points on the Jersey Shore.

… Olga’s Diner, which Peter Genovese (writer for The Star-Ledger) describes as “the queen of South Jersey diners”, was located at the Marlton Circle for four decades. The diner, originally located at the junction of Sixth and Federal Streets in Camden, opened in 1946 and was originally called Mom and Pop’s. It became Olga’s Diner when it moved to a location across the street in 1951; and finally moved to the Marlton Circle in 1960. It was put up for sale in 2005, and finally closed in December 2008.

Olga’s as it is today and as it was in a sunnier time:

(#2)

(#3)

Here we see Olga’s Diner the way it looked when it opened at the Marlton Circle in 1960. This smaller unit and seperate Bakery was replaced in 1965 with the larger one shown below, a 400 seat Fodero-built diner which remained in operation until October, 2008. The site is up for sale and it is reported a developer is interested in building an office building or shopping center here. (link)

Leave a Reply


%d bloggers like this: