(Penis imagery alert!)
Stumbled across yesterday afternoon, someone reporting having repeatedly misread Pennies from Heaven as Penis from Heaven — something I’ve done myself on occasion (but then I can fairly be said to have penises on my mind more than most people).
The background, from Wikipedia:
Pennies from Heaven may refer to:
– “Pennies from Heaven” (song) (1936), a popular American song by Johnny Burke and Arthur Johnston
– Pennies from Heaven (1936 film), starring Bing Crosby and Madge Evans, and introducing the song
– Pennies from Heaven (TV series) (1978), a BBC drama by Dennis Potter
– Pennies from Heaven (1981 film), a musical starring Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters
– Pennies from Heaven (1992 track), a notable House Music record by Inner City
It all starts with the song, which has been altered in the obvious way by a number of people. From a LiveJournal blog of 4/22/07:
Penis from heaven
Every time it rains, it rains penis from heaven
Don’t you know each cloud contains penis from heaven?
You’ll find your fortune’s fallin’ all over the town
Be sure that your umbrella is upside down
Trade them for a package of sunshine and flowers
If you want the things you love, you must have showers
So, when you hear it thunder, don’t run under a tree
There’ll be penis from heaven for you and me
From a 4/2/12 minestumdo blog on WordPress, an illustration to go along with this song:
From another hand (Color Fellini on Tumblr), another interpretation of penis from heaven, namely a penis in flight (as observed from below):
Finally, and unsurprisingly, the expression has been taken as the name of a gay porn site:
Does your penis come from heaven?
Ours does at penis from heaven.
The best place on earth for hot gay sex – penisfromheaven.com
(It’s a subscription site, so I can’t vouch for the offerings there.)